At Dindas, we feel good knowing that we are responsibly sourcing and delivering products for our customers, that helps reduce our carbon footprint. Our valued manufacturing partners share in our desire to not only be sustainably responsible but, continue to push forward harnessing technology to deliver better more efficient engineered wood products.
Actions speak louder than words
In any given year, our partner supplier Roseburg harvests approximately 2% of its 600,000 acres of timberland to supply local manufacturing operations. The foresters replant 6 million new trees annually, contributing to an average growth rate of 7%. This means not only is Roseburg providing local wood to fulfil production demand, but we are also simultaneously adding more trees to the local forests every year. We do all of this while protecting and investing in our water, soil, fish and wildlife resources. Roseburg is truly committed to sustainable forest management.
Vertically Integrated Manufacturing
Roseburg’s vertically integrated manufacturing system ensures stable and reliable access to our high-quality wood products for our clients across the world. We grow our own timber, which feeds our many mills, allowing us to be self-sufficient and resilient in all types of conditions.
Logs that enter our plywood facilities are peeled for veneer and laid up into a wide product offering of hardwood and softwood plywood panels. Our state-of-the-art sawmill uses the most advanced technology to maximize the use of wood fibre in the production of timber. Both timber and veneer products supply our engineered wood plants in the production of LVL and I-joists.
Our facilities send their residuals to our particleboard and MDF plants, where we reuse over 1 million tons of wood residual material every year. Any excess wood residuals are converted into green energy that powers our manufacturing plants in a zero-waste loop that makes the most of every tree. In 2020, this process generated over 230 million kilowatt-hours of power.
From the ground up
No matter how long we’ve been working in forest products, the forests have been doing it a lot longer. So we try to be as forward-thinking as humanly possible. This goes for timberland management as well as new market development and product anticipation. Just like the forest, we’re in the business of growing.
Healthy forests are the result of healthy land, and we take care of both. Our ability to harvest trees is a direct result of our strengths in tree planting and tree growing. We care for our forests through the cultivation of healthy soil and clean waters. A comprehensive logging and tracking system monitors the growth of our trees, supplemented by full-scale reforestation and stand improvement programs.
The more we know about forest lands, the more we can do to keep them healthy. The healthier they are, the healthier our business. Call us tree huggers if you like. We don’t mind. We love trees. Wood never ceases to amaze us, and we’re always finding new ways to put it to good use. We’re proud to walk you through our closed-loop system, from tree to tree.
Certifications in Sustainability
- Environmental Product Declarations (EPDs) – Roseburg has eight product-specific, Type III EPDs, verified by UL Environment. These are available to download in Roseburg’s document library or on each product page.
- USGBC LEED® v4 – Roseburg offers many products that meet the USGBC LEED v4 Low-Emitting Materials criteria.
- Sustainable Forestry Initiative® (SFI) program – certified available – Roseburg carries SFI Chain of Custody (CoC) and Fiber Sourcing certification at several manufacturing locations and SFI Forest Management certification on the Virginia and North Carolina timberlands.
- Forest Stewardship Council® (FSC®) – certified available – Roseburg is one of the longest continually FSC certified companies in the U.S., offering Chain of Custody (CoC) and Controlled Wood (CW) certified products. (FSC-C017580)
- Responsible Source – Roseburg is the first company to provide ASTM D7612 Responsible Source Certified lumber.